January 27, 2022


Të Gjitha Këtu për Ju

Palestinian girl stabs Israeli woman in Jerusalem in new wave of lone wolf attacks

2 min read

By Shira Rubin,

Staff Reuters

Israeli security personnel patrol the area following an incident in east Jerusalem December 8, 2021. REUTERS/ Stephen Farrell

JERUSALEM — A 14-year-old Palestinian girl stabbed an Israeli woman on Wednesday morning near a contested East Jerusalem neighborhood, in the fourth lone wolf attack to take place in Jerusalem in past three weeks amid fears of new wave of violence.

The Israeli victim, in her 20s, was walking her children to school on a street near the entrance to the contested neighborhood of Sheikh Jarrah, when she was stabbed in the back by the Palestinian teenager, a 14-year-old resident of the area, according to Israeli police reports.

The Israeli woman was immediately evacuated to the hospital and later assessed to be mildly injured, said Magen David Adom, Israel’s national emergency medical services.

The Palestinian girl fled the scene but was located and apprehended several hours later in a nearby school.

[Clashes break out in Jerusalem after Palestinian who stabbed Israeli is killed by police]

Sheikh Jarrah is a flash point in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, where daily confrontations between Palestinian protesters and Israeli police led to an escalation in violence in Gaza last May.

A pro-settler Israeli group has for years been attempting to evict several Palestinian families who have lived in the neighborhood for decades. They point to historical evidence that a small Jewish community existed for thousands of years in the neighborhood, around the tomb of the ancient Jewish high priest Shimon Hatzadik, though the community fled the area when the city was divided in 1948 between Israel and Jordan.

On Monday, a 16-year-old Palestinian attempted to drive over soldiers with his car at a checkpoint in the West Bank, and was shot and killed on the scene. On Saturday, a 25-year-old Palestinian man stabbed an ultra-Orthodox man in the neck and upper body. He was shot and killed by Israeli police while already lying on the ground. Israel police later said they suspected him of wearing an explosive device, though none was later found.

Israeli Supreme Court offers Palestinians facing eviction a deal to avert another conflict

How a Jerusalem neighborhood reignited the Israeli-Palestinian conflict

Palestinians and Israeli police clash in Jerusalem over planned Arab evictions

The Washington Post